Travel Insurance - Tullys Travel

Travel Insurance

If worried about crime, repatriation costs or cancellation, then cover could be the answer

Almost two-thirds of claims are for cancellations due to changing circumstances or family bereavement.


Why are you talking about travel insurance in February?

Travel insurance isn’t just for summer, you know. If you are going to take out travel insurance, you really should do it as soon as you book a trip and not seconds before your flight takes off.

Why’s that?

Almost two-thirds of claims are for cancellations due to changing circumstances or family bereavement. That can obviously happen at any point between paying for and travelling to your destination.

I already have health insurance. Do I really need travel insurance too?

Yes and no, but mostly yes. Health insurance will typically cover your overseas medical costs up to about €100,000. But it will not cover repatriation costs or the costs if you are the victim of a crime. Travel insurance is also quite cheap, so it represents good value. Your health insurance should lead to a big discount, although the size depends on the company.

Do I still need an E1-11 card?

You absolutely do. Although it hasn’t been called an E1-11 card for nearly a decade. If you are travelling in Europe get (and bring) a European Health Insurance Card. It give you access to public-health services anywhere in the EU and Switzerland. Many countries have a better public-health system than here, so don’t fret about using it. The Ehic people have also created a natty app to help you navigate overseas health systems.

I have had such a card for years, so I’m good to go, right? 

Depends how many years: the card needs to be renewed every five. If you are still calling it an E1-11, you probably need to renew. Apply at Never pay for the card: some sites will try to charge for the service, but it is free through the official site.

If the Ehic covers my health costs, why do I need travel insurance?

It might not always cover the full cost of care in another country, particularly if you are seen privately, and it does not cover the cost of repatriation or holiday cancellation, so you might still require insurance.

What do I need to know about excesses?

Most policies come with excess baggage, so make sure you are not stung by looking only at the top line. You can, typically, get an excess waiver for no more than €10.


View all articles
ACCEPT COOKIESTo give you the best possible experience, this site uses cookies. Using this site means you agree to our use of cookies. We have published a cookies policy, which you should read to find out more about the cookies we use. View cookies policy.